Deep Well PVC cylinder

Deep Well PVC cylinder

Postby Kansas Rust Buzzard » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:55 pm

OK, we all know what happens when you use a PVC cylinder in a deep well but why can't you make a PVC cylinder and lathe it down to a press fit inside some tubing or pipe? Its really hard to find 4x48 inch deep well cylinders and if you can you have made a payment on a new car, but if a shallow well PVC one works I don't know why you can't make one for deep well if you have a cage for the PVC? I got a couple sets of 4 inch innards but just not a good cylinder. Any better ideas? Thanks
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Deep Well PVC cylinder

Postby Jimbo » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:09 pm

If you would go to that much trouble making a sleeve for the PVC to slide into why not just go ahead and make the cylinder? In a shallow well you can pull the PVC by hand it's far more trouble in a deep well so I would want to do the best job that I can so I'm not repairing it again. Jimbo
Jimbo

Postby Kansas Rust Buzzard » Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:28 pm

Well, maybe I didn't state that well enough, I meant to say make the cylinder out of PVC and place it in a tube or pipe casing so it didn't give out. If I could find a source of heavy brass tubing to make the liner out of I would go that rout but I really am not set up to bore, hone and polish the brass and the PVC would likely work off the shelf. I don't even own an open top cylinder anyway so I am pretty used to laying the tower over and using the truck to pull these 300-400 ft wells. If I can get a 4 inch cylinder going I will probably use an oil field pump jack to run it as I happen to own one already. Thanks
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Postby windybob » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:26 pm

At one time, I was re-lining 2 1/2 and 3 inch cylinders with hard copper, thin wall pipe. (id) A friend would dry cut cast cylinders ( certain makes) for the correct o.d. of the pipe and slide in the new liner after prying out the old brass one. I was able to save customers money, and make more for me than to buy and resell new cylinders. The issue was, buying thin wall hard copper pipe got way too expensive, and so it was not worth it. I still run across those cylinders, and service them with new leathers as required. They should last forever, due to they are thicker than than the original sleeve.

I have often though of making new cylinders from pvc and other materials but just never got around to it. Plus, I don't like the idea of plastic cylinders anyway. I have finally rid my customers' wells of those things after many years. Using pvc inside a outer sleeve of metal sounds feasable to me. However there is the question of rust involved. Cast is not bad, but steel is different. Then a matter of the end caps is also important. I suppose a galvanized coating would work, but for how long.

The best material would be brass or copper, even stainless. Get ready to hock the farm to buy that stuff.
"Windmillers like it up on top"

EMAIL

windybob53 at yahoo.com

CIMARRON WINDMILLS
No job too small. Some jobs too big.
windybob

Postby Kansas Rust Buzzard » Mon Dec 25, 2017 4:53 pm

I don't know how thick one would have to make it but I assume SS could be fairly thin, maybe as thin as pipe? For heavier stuff there is an outfit here that does make custom hydraulic cylinders from SS. I know I priced a 3x1/4 piece a few years ago for a cannon barrel liner and it wasn't that bad. The people wanting $1,000 or more for a 4 inch cylinder just doesn't work for me, if you only needed one that might be OK but I really could use a couple 4 and I think I got the guts for a couple 3 1/2 ones as well.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Return to Down hole pumps, such as submersible and cylinders.